Frequently Asked Questions

Q1: Do I REALLY have to be 18 years of age or older to receive a permit?

Yes. It is a mandatory requirement to be a minimum of 18 years of age to apply for a permit within the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board.

Q2: How can I reserve a school facility?

To reserve any school facility, you are required to complete a Permit Request Form.  These forms are available from: the Permits Department, the front reception desk at the Catholic Education Centre, the main office of any of our schools and on our website.

The completed Application Form can be brought in or mailed to:

Permits Department

5685 Keaton Crescent

Mississauga, Ontario, L5R 3H5

Additionally, the application form can be faxed directly to the attention of the Permits Department at 905-890-8001. 


A minimum of 2 weeks is required to process an application.

Q3: Which schools are in a particular area?

There are many different facilities available for use within the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board. We have differentiated each city to have its own school boundary map. With this information, you can find the schools in the area you are looking for.

                   North Schools                                                  South Schools  

                   Brampton                                                        Mississauga

                                               Caledon and Dufferin County                           

Q4: Who has priority for booking school facilities?

The school in question will have first priority for school activities.  When not required, the space is made available to the community.  Priority will be given to existing permit holders.  All new requests will be on a first come first serve basis according to available space.

If a booked space or the entire school is required for a school function, an existing permit will be cancelled. The permit holder will be given as much notice as possible.  In emergencies, little or no advance notice may be given. The board also maintains the right to cancel any permit for any misuse of the facility.

Q5: When are school facilities available throughout the year?

School facilities will be available during the school year, September to June, Monday to Friday from 6:00pm to 10:00pm in 2 hour blocks. Weekend use of school facilities are subject to availability.

School facilities are not available during:

  • Statutory Holidays
  • Evenings or weekends during the summer months
  • The last two weeks of August
  • The first two weeks of September
  • Christmas Break
  • March Break
Q6: Can we book evenings in the summer?

Evening time slots are not available during the summer months.

Q7: Can I have back to back permits?

Permits for back to back time slots will not be approved. This is due to facilitating a more open environment for all members of the community to use our school facilities.

Q8: Can I apply for a full year permit?

No, we do not offer or approve permits which last a full year.

Q9: Will I receive a make-up day if my permit gets cancelled for any reason?

If an approved permit is cancelled by the user, no make-up day will be granted. Any user cancelled permit, or day within a permit, will be lost.

If a permit must be cancelled due to a priority event, or weather related condition(s), refunds will be issued for nightly fees, as no make-up day will be granted.

Q10: Are permits cancelled on P.A. days?

Permits will still be active during school P.A. days.  If any questions arise, feel free to contact us.

Q11: How would I know if a facility will be closed during an extreme weather day/extenuating circumstance?

The best method to confirm if a school location would be closed due to any circumstance would be to:

  • Check the School Board website for closures
  • Check the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board’s Twitter for school closures
Q12: How can I determine if the site is suitable for my group?

The best way to determine if one of our sites is suitable for your group would be to arrange an appointment at the school in question to view the facilities.

Q13: What sports can I play in a permitted location?

If there are any questions related to playing a specific sport, please get into contact with a member of the Permits Department.

Q14: What user category am I in? / How much will it cost to have my event at a school facility?

There are multiple factors regarding the fees attached to booking a facility. These differences relate to: the reason the facility is being used, if it is a Youth or Adult Group, as well as how applicants fall into one of two categories:

        1) Registered Not-for-Profit Groups for recreational programs not supported by the Board

        2) Corporate For-Profit Groups, individuals and organizations

The full chart of our fee schedule can be found on our website under the “Rates” column.

Q15: Why do you need to know how many people will be at my permit?

The reason there is a requirement to list the amount of participants on any given permit is to:

  • Allow the custodial staff know how many people will be at the location
  • Insurance purposes
  • Aligns with Fire Safety Codes/Security
Q16: Will I need liability insurance?

You will need to provide Proof of Insurance in the amount of $2 million. The Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board must be added to the policy as an additional insured. If your group does not already have coverage, Proof of Insurance can be purchased through the Permits Department and the cost will be added to your permit.

Q17: How do I make a payment?

Payment can be made through Visa/Mastercard in person at the permits Department or a cheque can be mailed to the Permits Department, payable to the Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board.

All permit fees must be made prior to the permit start date.

Q18: Do I need to have the permit form on me during the permit? What if I require another copy?

Permit holders are responsible for retaining permits and insurance information. A copy of the processed permit must be with the group at all times while on school property. Either the applicant or the alternate contact named must be personally present and identifiable by valid photo identification acceptable to the Board or access to the school premises will be denied.

Duplicate copies will only be provided for an administrative fee.

Q19: How do I change an already processed permit request?

Once a permit is processed, any subsequent changes can be made by contacting one of the Permit Clerks.

Each time a change is requested after a permit is processed, the change will be subject to a non-refundable administration fee. 

Q20: How can I cancel a permit?

Once a permit is processed, the cancellation will be subject to a non-refundable administration fee.  All cancellations must be made a minimum of 48 hours prior to the start of the permit. Weekend events must be cancelled no later than Wednesday of the same week.

Q21: Who is responsible for location supervision?

You are required to have a group leader on site to comply with the Board’s requirements for the event. The group leader is responsible for the members of the group and their spectators while in the school building. If more than one room is required, an adult supervisor is to be assigned to that room.

Q22: What are the safety procedures?

You are responsible to review the Board’s fire/emergency plan before holding an activity at a school facility. A copy of the fire/emergency plan is available at the school.

Q23: Can our group use school equipment?

In terms of equipment, no school equipment of any kind will be made available to any group without prior consent of the Permit Officer. Additionally, only Board employees may adjust, move or operate any equipment on the premises.

The Board will also not store any equipment or supplies owned by any permit groups, and shall not be held liable for damages or the loss of any non-Board equipment or supplies.

Q24: What are the parking regulations?

Fire routes and pedestrian walkways are to be kept clear at all times. Vehicles can only be parked in parking lots, not on playing fields or grass. You are responsible for advising participants and spectators that school parking is limited. The Board is not responsible for any vehicles illegally parked.

Q25: Do you provide permits for schools within the Conseil scolaire Viamonde?

We are not affiliated with the Conseil scolaire Viamonde. Therefore, we do not have any involvement with their permit system.